- Moo Shu Pork (pg 169)-I liked this recipe, didn’t love it. The.mr said it was “really good.” is it still considered Moo Shu Pork w/o the mushrooms? I left those out ‘cause mushrooms gross me out and taste like dirt. I couldn’t find Bibb lettuce at the grocery store… so I settled with a small head of Boston lettuce… I should’ve bought 2, because we only had enough leaves to wrap about ½ of our Moo Shu Pork. I also used about 1 lb of pork instead of ¾ lb.
- Mix & Match Stir Fry (pg 217)- I did Pork w/ carrots, peas, and onions in sweet & sour sauce. I’m not sure why it calls for marinating the meat in cornstarch, egg whites, and rice wine… the.mr and I liked this better than my usual stir fry recipe. I love all the options to mix & match. It makes it really simple to change up the ingredients.
- BLT Pasta Salad (pg 281)- LOOOOVE. I left the milk out of this recipe, and switched the amounts of sour cream and mayo. Because I left the milk out it was a little dry, but I added a little light ranch to it when I was eating. I really liked the way the cooked tomatoes tasted in this pasta salad. I should mention that I used 8 oz of cherry tomatoes instead of “regular” tomatoes. This recipe made enough for both of us to eat our fill, and I had the leftovers for lunch the next day!
- Mix & Match Mac N Cheese (pg 325)- I used medium shells, a mix of cheddar and mozzarella cheese, bacon, spinach, and a panko and parmesan topping. The sauce was kind of gritty, I think it was because I used skim milk and fat-free cheese. Also, I remembered how much I don’t like the way spinach tastes. The.mr LOVED it. At least, I think he did… he finished ALL the leftovers in just a few days. Overall this was an easy recipe, and the mix & match feature is going to get used A LOT.
- Everything in this cook book was easy (just like the title suggests).
- The recipes are easy to follow, and the ingredients easy to find.
- The recipe index in the front has pictures!!
- There’s a great Mix & Match page at the back of each section… it’s a really easy way to build your own recipes!
The Less Good:
- Some of these recipes have a few too many steps (and pots to dirty). I ended up not even trying those.
- mr and I have kind of simple tastes and some of these dishes made us raise an eyebrow. They sound a little fancy for us. I don’t think that’s really a deterrent for most people.
Other Recipes 2 Try:
- Meaty Quesadillas (pg 80)
- Chicken w/ Apple & Onion, in Cider Sauce (pg 101)
- Pepper-Jack Chicken with Succotash (pg 125)
- Rosemary-Mustard Pork w/ Peaches (pg 177)
- Spaghetti Carbonara (pg 301)
- Any/ all of the Side Dishes starting on pg 329
I like it! I’m excited to try some of the other recipes I have bookmarked. There aren’t too many of the “tips” from the FN Stars, but I’m OK with it. I’d probably suggest buying this one, definitely would if it was on sale.